Monday, May 21, 2012

Baker's Play-Doh - The Modelling chocolate




Modelling chocolate is prepared from two ingredients, chocolate and corn syrup. Its like a play-doh which can be molded into any shape you want and can be generally used to decorate the cake accessories. It is a very good alternative for fondant and it tastes good though its very sweet. I had researched a lot of things about modeling chocolate on the internet and then gave it a try for the first time. I had a few difficulties, but the outcome was okay I guess. I had used the white modelling chocolate recipe for this one so that I could color the jungle animals in the color I wanted . I will be working with this more now as I am really happy I found something for my cakes that I will be able to play with however I like and create some wonderful designs.

It needs around 8 oz of white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate and around 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of light corn syrup. Using the double broiler method, melt the chocolate and then let it cool down a bit. Then add the corn syrup and it will start stiffening up immediately. Place it on the wax paper and let it stay outside for about 2 hours. After 2 hours it will be completely hardened up. Break it into small pieces and with the warmth of your hand knead it into a ball and it is ready to use. Any unused portion can be kept in an airtight container. When you need to reuse it, just place it in the microwave for about 5-7 seconds and its ready to use again.

No comments:

Post a Comment