Saturday, June 2, 2012

Royal icing butterflies



I followed the Wilton's royal icing recipe but cut it down to 1/4 measure as I was going to try this icing for the first time. I took 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 1 tbsp meringue powder, 1 1/4 tsp + 2 tsp water(for thin consistency) and mixed this with a hand-held mixer for around 7-10 mins. I wanted it a bit flowy so I went on adding water 1/4 tsp at a time till I reached the desired consistency.

For the butterflies, I drew a template of the butterfly and then copied it on several wax papers. For the colors, you divide the icing into three parts and color them yellow, green, and blue. Be sure to cover your icing with damp cloth to prevent it from drying. Fill out the decorating bags with respective icings with the tip# 3 attached. Once you have filled out the icing into the decorating bags, keep the bags inside the damp cloth and covered continously. Then pipe out the icing on the butterfly with one color at a time. Once you have done that, using a toothpick run it along the wings in outward direction to get the design on the butterflies.

As I had not used any molds for butterflies, they are a bit out of shape I guess and also I needed a more flowy consistency of the icing to give more smoother effect for the wings. Will do that next time for sure!! Enjoy decorating your butterflies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment