Monday, June 4, 2012

Strawberry mousse


We had picked up some strawberries this weekend and I decided to try my hand over making strawberry mousse. I always used instant strawberry mousse for filling the cakes until now as I had never made homemade strawberry mousse. After trying this recipe out I am so happy that I will now use this recipe whenever I have to use it in any recipes.


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup chilled heavy cream
1/2  tbsp unflavored gelatin (1/2 envelope)
1/4 cup cold water

METHOD:
Put the strawberries in the blender and grind it to puree. Add the sugar and lemon juice. Sprinkle gelatin over the cold water for five minutes. Melt the gelatin by placing it in the double boiler over boiling water. Once melted, take it out of heat, do not overheat. Stir the gelatin into the strawberry puree and let it cool until a bit thick. Till it cools down, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the puree into the whipped cream with a spatula until well incorporated (make sure the puree has cooled down and at room temperature). Put it into the serving bowls or dishes and refrigerate it for about an hour before serving.

Yields around 2 cups of strawberry mousse.

No comments:

Post a Comment