Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Captain Huggy Face Cake




There were a few "first times" while baking this cake..It was my first dairy free cake (the basic recipe), my first experiment with frozen buttercream transfer, was trying out the roses after a very long time..so I was a bit tensed as to how everything will turn out. I was pretty happy with the outcome..My son wanted the "captain huggy face" cake for his 9th birthday so I made the image of the charachter out of frozen buttercream transfer. This was a vanilla cake with mango cream as the filling and whipped cream frosting. I had searched this recipe on internet and decided to try out. It was a bit oily, so next time may be I will add less oil. Also, I have made changes to the original recipe.

INGREDIENTS:
3 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp vinegar
2 c water
2 c sugar
3/4 c oil
4 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and keep aside. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl except the oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix well with a whisk. Then add the oil and mix again until smooth batter is formed. Pour this batter into 2 8-inch greased pans. Bake for around 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool completely before frosting the cake.

For mango cream filling, add around 2/3 cup mango puree to 1 cup heavy cream and 4 tbsp sugar and beat on medium speed till you get stiff peaks.

For the frozen buttercream transfer, follow this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFx38a7Bjfw .  The design I chose was bit small so it was a bit tough for me to get the exact details..but for larger designs, the technique will be more easy I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment