Thursday, May 9, 2013

Victoria Sponge Cupcakes


The recipe for these cupcakes were shared with me by few of my cake forum friends. I wanted to try these cupcakes from a long time and am glad that I did!! The recipe is just amazing!! The cupcakes came out so spongy and the taste was perfect..I did have the problem of dry texture though but I guess I just over baked them about  5 minutes; that surely did make difference.

INGREDIENTS:
225 g (1 2/3 cup) of self-rising flour
225 g (1 2/3 cup) of castor or confectioner's sugar
225 g (1 stick) softened butter
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 C). Line the muffin pan with cupcake liners. In a bowl, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Then add one egg and beat well. Then just fold in one spoon of flour. Then add other egg and beat well; fold in one more spoon of flour. Do this till all the eggs are used up and then fold in rest of the flour. (Do not beat). Fill the cupcake liners and bake the cupcakes for about 15-18 minutes. I baked mine for about 20 minutes and they got a bit dry. So I strongly recommend to check it after 15 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool on the rack.

Once cooled, dust the cupcakes with confectioner's sugar using a strainer for even spreading. For the jam filling, I used the store bought mixed fruit jam. With an apple corer, just take out the central part of the cupcake. Insert the corer just about less than half way and pull out which will leave a hole in the center. With a jam filled pastry bag (with or without tip attachment) fill out the jam in the hole. I had used tip no.12 or the round tip for filling out the jam. Enjoy with a cup of tea!!!

TIP:
If you do not have self-rising flour, you can add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to all-purpose flour. I have done this almost all the times and it works out very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment